Villanueva Prepares His Options

The facilities of the IMG Academy in Florida are well known to most coaches and players across the country. It is home to some of the best high school players and also becomes a training ground for many future pros and present NBA players. This spring IMG has many famous names and faces participating in the daily workouts. But one name Kansas and Connecticut fans are keeping their eyes on is a 6-10 senior forward.
"Charlie (Villanueva) is down there right now," said his AAU coach, Gary Charles of the Long Island Panthers. "I just spoke to him last night. Everything is going well. He told me the facilities there are great."
Villanueva, who has until June 19th to pull his name out of the NBA draft, played this past season at Blair Academy in New Jersey. If Villanueva decides to not enter the draft, he is likely to choose between Kansas and Connecticut. "I thought before he left he would make a decision between the schools," Charles said. "But he didn't feel comfortable yet with a decision. But he could still make a decision before he decides on the draft."
Charles said as of last night Villanueva had no particular leaning. "I am not sure when he will make the decision," Charles said. "Both are great schools and it's a tough choice. But he didn't want to make a decision until he was totally sure. And right now he isn't."
Despite the uncertainty about Villanueva's college status, Charles said there is a clear path to what Villanueva will do next. "Probably next week sometime some of the (NBA) teams will come in and watch him workout," Charles said. "Then after that we can see where he might go."
As of today, Charles feels Villanueva could go late first or early second round. This obviously could change after Villanueva's workouts next week. There has also been talk that Villanueva could go to Chicago for a couple of days and compete in front of the NBA scouts and General Managers there. "I don't think that will happen," said Charles. "I think you have to pay back the expenses for those days if Charlie decides to back out. And it wouldn't be worth the risk."