football Edit

Rival Views: Potential sleeper recruiting class in 2018

One thing that time has proven over and over again, is that there will always be players and recruiting classes that exceed expectations. This week, we are looking for potential sleeper recruiting classes.

Which classes that rank outside of the top 15 for 2018 could end up surpassing expectations? As usual, National Basketball Analysts Eric Bossi and Corey Evans have Rival Views.

MORE: Bossi's Best | Evans' Twitter Tuesday


Jerome Hunter
Jerome Hunter (Jordan Wells/

Perhaps it's because I just got to watch 75 percent of the class Archie Miller has signed and because my cohort Corey Evans raved about the other 25 percent over the weekend, but I've done a bit of a 180 on the class that is headed to Indiana. I wasn't necessarily down on it, but I did have some concerns.

Currently the group of four-star wing Jerome Hunter, four-star wing Damezi Anderson, four-star point guard Robert Phinisee and Rivals150 forward Jake Forrester ranks No. 20 overall. Given where each of those guys are individually and how little time Miller and his staff had to play catch up in 2018 after making the move to Bloomington from Dayton, it's a good class.

However, I think it has a chance to end up better than expected. I think that Hunter has legitimate NBA potential as a big shooter who can be a versatile scorer and Phinisee – who I think has some Frank Mason to his game – looks to be quite a bit better than I had thought based on previous viewings of him.

From what I know, Miller has raved about the potential of Forrester as a four-man who can play facing the rim and if Anderson learns to play with a high running motor he's got big upside. Add all that together, and I think this class could surprise.


Luther Muhammad
Luther Muhammad (Nick Lucero/

The Chris Holtmann era in Columbus is off to a good start, already surpassing a number of preseason expectations. Ohio State has started to get great mileage out of Keita Bates-Diop, and using Jae’Sean Tate as a point-wing in certain lineups now looks genius. What should add even more excitement for Ohio State fans is the 2018 recruiting class that the staff signed this fall.

Despite not sitting within the top 15 of our 2018 class’ rankings, the four-man group checks a lot of the boxes that should enable for the program to get back among the Big Ten elite. The top-ranked prospect, Luther Muhammad, brings an alpha-dog demeanor to the floor each time out as the top-75 guard poses as a lockdown defender, even as a college freshman.

Muhammed will be joined by Justin Ahrens, a highly lauded jump shooter and one of the top in-state prospects from the 2018 class. Jaedon LeDee, a 6-foot-8 forward, boasts a variety of dimensions and further upside, and with how Holtmann used players of LeDee’s ilk during his time at Butler, the Texas native could thrive.

The wildcard of the bunch is DJ Washington, the nephew of Derek Fisher. Washington should be regarded as one of the top shooters in his class and also a guard that can run some of the point. Washington’s commitment could be the most vital as the Buckeyes are struggling in the turnover department this season.