March 17, 2013

Hicks Dominates for State Title

It was a game of mismatches and runs, as J.F. Webb was able to defeat Statesville Saturday night 73-70, getting their first title in school history.

Statesville (25-4) came in playing mostly looking like a five guard lineup, as the Greyhounds tallest player on the floor seemed six or seven inches smaller than Isaiah Hicks.

Hicks used that to his advantage, coming out strong and scoring 11 points in the first quarter.

Both teams went up and down in the first quarter, as Webb led 19-15 after one, but the scoring came down in the second quarter.
Turnovers and fouls were a huge part in the second quarter, as Hicks only scored two points in the second quarter.

J.F. Webb led 29-20 at halftime and Isaiah Hicks had 13 points and 16 rebounds; Hicks already had a double-double before halftime, but little did anyone know that he wasn't done yet.

J.F. Webb was able to stretch the lead to as many as 14 points in the third quarter, with the score being 44-30. But Statesville crawled back with a couple of three pointers and eventually took the lead in the fourth. Hicks had to drain some free throws at the end of regulation and were able to force the game into overtime.

Webb was down four in overtime, as everyone knew who the ball was going to go to. Hicks wanted to ball but had to be careful, as he had already picked up four fouls.

"Don't get fouled out," Hicks replied. "That was going through my mind. How can I help the team without getting fouled out? I just had to play smart. When they drive, just move back and try to block the shot or try to just move out of the way when they drive."

Hicks drained some shots left and right, with a well balanced attack with shots from the outside and dominating down low.

In overtime though, Hicks fouled out with seconds to go and Webb had to come through without their superstar.

With Statesville down one, Webb defended the ball well as the Greyhounds missed a layup at the end of the game before having to foul with 2.8 seconds left in the game.

Webb drained both free throws to seal the deal, as the team stormed the court, except Hicks who stood on the sideline and just smiled.

"Think that moment is Isaiah Hicks, that's what he is. He doesn't have to do anything just stand there and smile," said Head Coach Brunelli. "It is what he is about; the future is bright for him because he has it all. I think that's the part that puts you separate."

In the end, Isaiah Hicks had his best game in high school, filling up the box score all across the board.

Isaiah Hicks final stats were 34 points, 30 rebounds, and seven blocks in his final game of his high school career.

Hicks shot 13 of 21 from the field, going 8 of 10 from the free throw line.

"Wow, what a way to go out, huh? Last time he wears that white uniform for J.F. Webb High School to put on a display like that," said Brunelli. "Goodness gracious, 30 rebounds. Are you kidding me?"

It was simply a dominating performance in the biggest game in J.F. Webb history. The Warriors were able to celebrate in what was mostly a home game, as so many fans from Webb had made the travel to Reynolds Coliseum.

Well, they watched one of the greatest performances in championship history.

To add to that, Hicks later mentioned after the full interview, that in the second quarter, he lost one of his contacts as it ripped when it came out. Hicks had said to his coach that he had to play the whole second half without one contact.

Simply unbelievable.

...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!